Thursday, October 19, 2017

Humanity First. (Part 1)

Throughout history, people have tried their best to organize themselves in tidy little categories. I used to see the boundary lines -- I used to heed the demarcations. Now, I long to see the human that's buried beneath a multitude of nametags.

Every person on Earth is a human before they are a _______. I left that blank so you could insert whatever you hold sacred there -- "Christian", "heterosexual", "Caucasian".  Whatever, pick one. Beyond these identities, people are generally compelled by the same biological drives. They are more like you than they are different from you.

Psychology resonates with this same idea.  One look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs reminds us that people need to survive and feel a sense of basic safety before we can ponder much else.  We can furiously demand "holiness" (whatever that means to you) from society, but the simple fact is that unmet needs beat nebulous moral constructs, every time. We have to serve the human in others before we can expect to speak in lofty terms of theology or divinity.

Everyone you encounter is a human, first and foremost. I'm going to keep returning to this refrain because I think it bears repeating. We have to do more than acknowledge this as a fact; we must synthesize  it as a framework of our worldview. If you can connect with the inner humanity of others, you can learn to understand faiths, practices, and cultures that are different from yours.  Look past the veneer to the vulnerable person within.

Seek first to understand the humanity in others.  The woman wearing a hijab at the grocery store, or the man speaking Spanish at the bank may seem so utterly other to you.  They're not.  Their lives are governed by the same instincts and impulses as your own.  They grow hungry, tired, and lonely.  They want to survive and thrive.

Perhaps this concept of humanity first has become so prominent in my mind because I have seen it mishandled so profoundly, both in my life and in the lives of others. I used to be so judgmental, so certain of my place in this great cacophony. I used to be so preoccupied with the partitions between people. Now, I simply want to see past them.

I want to understand the humanity in those around me, regardless of the labels they've chosen or the ones that have been thrust upon them.  I have a lot to say on this topic because it is so near to my heart, and I have some stories to tell. I'll tell them soon. For now, I simply ask for you to reflect on the common personhood that transcends every boundary in your world.

PS -- I think "humanity first" sounds kind of like a populist presidential candidate's slogan, in some far flung year like 2092 when the robots have taken over. Humanity First!

Thank you for reading On Letting Go, a blog about dealing with the wounds of the past. If you're looking for a little background on what inspired this blog, check out the introduction.  Click here for information on how you can find mental health resources for yourself or a loved one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting Over on EXPERT MODE

I can hardly believe that we're about to finish our third year in this small town. Our relocation to Salisbury has proven to be an ill...