Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Joy as a Discipline

Stop me if you've heard this one. 

It's been a tough year/decade/life. It's been a busy holiday season. You're sleeping less and working more. Whatever the reason, you've started to notice that your clothes fit a little tighter and you're moving a bit slower than you used to. The burden of a hectic schedule and a heavy workload is taking a toll, and it shows in your waistline.

We've all been there. What I find fascinating, however, is that our society is permeated with a distinct knowledge of how to overcome this plight. Virtually every person of sound mind knows the steps to improve their physical health -- move more and eat less. Make wise dietary choices. Sleep more. We have the answers to this state of physical disrepair, even if we choose not to follow them.

The same cannot be said for mental health. What do you do when you are depressed, or anxious, or overcome by irrational thoughts? What if you find your mind embroiled in something even more tragic, like suicidal ideology? Can you simply will yourself into wellness? We struggle to identify the problem, let alone the solution. Despite our society's progress, mental health is still highly stigmatized and misunderstood. We are not ingrained with a sense of caring for ourselves emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.

I have reflected upon this lack of emotional preparedness quite a bit lately. As I audit my own mental well-being, I have recognized the patterns of my daily and weekly behaviors and how they influence my mental state and my overall wellness. This means that, in some respects, mental and emotional wellness is a matter of daily practice.

So much of life is dictated by what you regularly do. Whether it's weight loss, or learning an instrument, or earning a college degree, self-discipline is the deciding variable in it all. As the saying goes, "we are what we repeatedly do." After what I've been through in the past few years, I want to pursue joy as a deliberate discipline in my daily life.

With all of that being said, here are a few ways that I have tried to interweave emotional wellness into my daily life. They are admittedly small changes, but that's the point -- they're reasonable in their ambitions. I'd love to hear about what works for you. Also, please bear in mind that these suggestions are minor behavioral tweaks that are meant to supplement a generally healthy mind. If you are wrestling with more profound mental issues, it may be imperative to seek professional help.  Anyway, here are my suggestions...

1.) Exercise

The science speaks for itself -- regular exercise releases endorphins in your brain that literally make you feel better and more at peace. Furthermore, when you begin to see results, you start to feel a fundamental sense of control over your life. Life is not just something that happens to you, and I believe this lesson is learned well as you pursue your physical wellness.

2.) Podcasts

The connections we make with people we don't know are curious, aren't they? Whether it's a group of guys on a popular Youtube channel, or a celebrity talk show host, we begin to feel connected with others even if they don't know us by name. Humans are biologically wired for community. Podcasts provide an interesting long-form connection with thoughts and ideas from around the world. Furthermore, many of them are genuinely hilarious and thought-provoking. I highly recommend the dark comedic fiction Welcome to Night Vale and the political comedy show Lovett or Leave it, just to name a few.

3.) Cheesy music

I was sitting in a therapist's office and I overheard another client, in an adjoining room, talk about how she had to avoid certain songs because of the emotional toll they took on her. As obvious as it may seem, this made me realize that the vast majority of music I listen to is neither fun nor joyful. In light of this, I've tried to steer myself into the direction of generally more upbeat music. A lot of classic rock, for example, has a kind of undeniable cheese factor to it -- and that's okay! Whether it's old tunes, comedy albums, or god-awful 90's pop hits, embrace the cheese. I bet it'll make you smile.

4.) Catharsis

I am passionate about writing and music, as you probably know. These creative avenues can provide a profound therapeutic benefit -- in fact, that's one of the reasons I started this blog. However, you do not have to be a dyed-in-the-wool artist to pursue cathartic experiences. Journaling, for example, can be a simple and effective means to explore your thoughts in a new medium. If you are interested in the arts, I would implore you to pursue them as a continuing discipline in your life -- these efforts will pay off over time.


Again, these have helped me immensely, but the daily pursuit of joy and wellness may look different for you. The question that must be answered is this: what does your path to joy look like? What brings you a sense of wellness and wholeness?  Find that path and pursue it as a deliberate discipline. We must all grasp a fuller picture of what it means to be mentally and spiritually well -- we need to understand our daily struggles and the road to recovery from them.

Thank you for reading On Letting Go, a blog about dealing with the wounds of the past. If you're looking for a little background on what inspired this blog, check out the introduction.  Click here for information on how you can find mental health resources for yourself or a loved one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting Over on EXPERT MODE

I can hardly believe that we're about to finish our third year in this small town. Our relocation to Salisbury has proven to be an ill...