Friday, June 22, 2018

I am not your ally.

A curious thing has happened to Hannah and I over the past several years. On a variety of occasions, people will interact with us in a seemingly normal, sociable way. We exchange small talk and formalities, and then, in the midst of a superficially banal dialogue, a shift occurs.

And out comes the racism. Out comes the sexism. Why does this keep happening?

When we first moved to Salisbury, Hannah visited a local veterinarian, and the vet interacted with Hannah for less than ten minutes before confiding some very awkward, highly racial opinions to her. Somehow, we keep finding ourselves in this situation, with acquaintances and strangers alike. Racists and sexists find themselves emboldened in this age, ready to spout off their nonsense anywhere.

So let me make this clear.
I am not your ally.

We are not allies of the racist, the sexist, the bigots, the homophobes. We are not your confessional booth, and we will not be complicit in your inane war against decency. Do not mistake my skin color or my gender for permission to disseminate your poison. It will not be accepted or permitted in my world.

We are the allies of the downtrodden, the oppressed, the marginalized, the hurt. We vote that way, too. We consider these people groups when we give donations, when we volunteer, and when we cast our ballots for local and national leaders.

I would encourage every reader to search their soul and ask themselves where their allegiances lie. Who have you aligned with, and who have you placated? What concepts have you let reign freely in your life and in your social interactions? The time for change is now, and the time for tepid disagreement is over.

To the racist,
the sexist,
the oppressor,
the aggressor.....
I am not your ally.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting Over on EXPERT MODE

I can hardly believe that we're about to finish our third year in this small town. Our relocation to Salisbury has proven to be an ill...